Search Browse On This Day Map Quotations Timeline Research Free Datasets Remembered About Contact

Miles likely to have died from brain injury

Fri 12 Apr 2013 In: New Zealand Daily News

A pathologist says gay Christchurch teenager Hayden Miles probably died from a brain injury, after laying on a couch for several hours after the beating which ultimately claimed his life. Gavin Gosnell, 28, is accused of murdering the troubled 15-year-old. The Crown says he subjected the victim to an extensive and prolonged beating on 22 August, 2011. According to media reports, Forensic pathologist Dr Martin Sage has told the High Court in Christchurch that he couldn't come to a certain cause of death because of the state of Hayden's body at the time of autopsy, four months after his death. The 15-year-old's body had been dismembered and his remains buried in two cemetery plots and a backyard. Dr Sage said he'd come to a probable conclusion from the post-mortem and evidence given from those present at the time of the beating. He said Miles was already, or very nearly, unconscious when he was laid on the couch he died on. He believes he lived for several hours afterwards. In other Crown evidence in the case at the latter end of this week, the court was played video of a police interview where Gosnell revealed details of how he dismembered Miles' body and buried the remains in three locations. The graphic details provoked tears from a female juror and people in the public gallery, and prompted a 15 minute break. In the video, Gosnell told police he felt angry at Hayden and wanted to "hurt him" - to "make him to feel what I was feeling". Miles had earlier told the older man that his girlfriend Nicolette Vaux-Phillips was only using him for his money and didn't actually like him. The accused also made the claim in the video evidence that he believed Miles 'fancied' Vaux-Phillips. However he also said he knew Miles was gay because of the way he flicked his hair out of his face. The Crown has now wrapped up its case, and the trial will resume on Monday morning. It's expected to finish in the middle of next week.    

Credit: Daily News staff

First published: Friday, 12th April 2013 - 5:44pm

Rights Information

This page displays a version of a article that was automatically harvested before the website closed. All of the formatting and images have been removed and some text content may not have been fully captured correctly. The article is provided here for personal research and review and does not necessarily reflect the views or opinions of If you have queries or concerns about this article please email us