Pride and Prejudice Panel
Audio from the Pride and Prejudice Panel, held during Wellington's Pride Festival on 6 March 2020. A special thank you to the organisers and participants for allowing this event to be recorded and shared.
"We are living in challenging times for queer and trans folks in Aotearoa and around the world. Prejudice, discrimination and violence impact us in different ways, so it can feel hard building connection even within our communities. We're not the only ones facing challenges. This is the time when we need to build relationships across different communities and support each other - and keep everyone safer. Our panel are folks working to build community and speak back to discrimination in Aotearoa, especially around racism."
Panelists include Anjum Rahman, Project Lead for Inclusive Aotearoa Collective Tāhono, Laura O'Connell Rapira (Te Ātiawa, Ngāphui, Te Rarawa, Ngāti Whakaue), Director of ActionStation, SamKate Douglas (Taranaki, Te Ātiawa), Treaty Action Pōneke Collective member and Tania Sawicki Mead, Director of Just Speak. The hosts were Bex Fraser, Sara Fraser and Sandra Dickson.
- 0:00:07 - Bex Fraser
- 0:03:25 - Sara Fraser
- 0:09:15 - Anjum Rahman, Project Lead for Inclusive Aotearoa Collective Tahono
- 0:20:13 - Laura O'Connell Rapira, Director of ActionStation
- 0:30:53 - Tania Sawicki Mead, Director of Just Speak
- 0:45:15 - SamKate Douglas, Treaty Action Poneke Collective member
- 0:57:41 - Discussion and questions continue