Article Title:McNee accused only recently out of jail
Category:New Zealand Daily News
Author or News Staff
Published on:3rd August 2004 - 12:00 pm
Story ID:2456
Text:The man accused of bashing David McNee to death was released from prison only two weeks before the killing, a jury has been told. 24-year-old Phillip Edwards is on trial for the murder of television personality McNee, whom he punched in the face up to 50 times and left to choke to death on his own blood and vomit in July last year, after McNee picked him up on K Rd. In a videotaped interview with police eight days after the murder, Edwards said he was released from prison in Hawkes Bay and came to Auckland on July 9 for a fresh start. Edwards said he was supposed to live with an aunt in Mt Albert but ended up living on the streets of central Auckland. Edwards stole McNee's car after the killing and went joyriding for two days in it, the jury heard. He also made up a rap about the killing: "Combinations to strangulations ending in suffocation." Edwards' defence is claiming the "homosexual panic" defence – he only attacked McNee because of the sexual advances made in McNee's bedroom.    
Disclaimer:This page displays a version of the article with all formatting and images removed. It was harvested automatically and some text content may not have been fully captured correctly: access this content at your own risk. A copy of the full article is available (off-line) at the Lesbian and Gay Archives of New Zealand. This online version is provided for personal research and review and does not necessarily reflect the views or opinions of If you have queries or concerns about this article please email us
Reproduction note:Just before closed in May 2017, the website owners wrote this article about reproducing content from the website: "our work has always been available for glbti people to use and all we ask is that you not plagiarise it... if you use it anywhere please attribute it to and where there is an authors name attached please acknowledge that writer."